The Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act creates a comprehensive workforce development system that provides assistance to job seekers and employers.
Key Principles of the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act System
- Streamline services through better integration in the CareerSource Florida centers. Programs and providers co-locate and coordinate activities and information so that the system as a whole is readily accessible for individuals and businesses. Empower individuals through information, guidance, and support, as well as, customer choice in the selection of training providers through the use of Individual Training Accounts.
- Universal access to the CareerSource Florida network and to core employment-related services, such as information about job vacancies, career options, student financial aid, etc.
- Increased accountability for educational achievement and employment-related outcomes to measure improvements of the quality of the workforce.
- Strong role for Regional Workforce Boards and the private sector in strategic planning and policy development for the workforce system at the local level. The private-sector dominated boards include not only local business but also labor, educational, and community-based organizations.
- State and local flexibility through the granting of authority to the Governor and local Chief Elected Officials to implement an innovative and comprehensive workforce system tailored to meet the particular needs of local and regional labor markets.
- Improved youth programs are closely linked to local labor market needs and community youth programs with strong connections between academic and occupational learning. Youth programs include activities that promote youth development and citizenship and target opportunities for youth living in high poverty areas.
Contact your local CareerSource Florida center or reference the Frequently Asked Questions or see the WIOA Adult and Dislocated Workers Program Fact Sheet ,WIOA Youth Program Fact Sheet or National Emergency Grants Program Fact Sheet for more information.